April Challenge: start a daily ritual
I’m a huge fan of Gary Keller’s The One Thing and I’ve been trying to adopt that to my work at eteaket but I’ve realised it applies to every area of life. As you know, it’s little daily habits that add up to life-changing practices. So, I challenge you to start one daily ritual you can do every day for the month of April. Share how you get on Twitter @eteaket using #dailyritual.
At the end of April, review your progress and if appropriate expand that ritual to create even greater impact or add in another one.
12 examples of potential daily rituals
Here are some examples of small rituals you could start that could have a big impact on your life:
- Get up 10 minutes earlier than usual, prepare your favourite tea in your favourite way, sit and drink it in your favourite spot with no distractions (especially no phones) and think about the top 5 things you’re grateful for.
- Spend 10 mins clearing a space in your house, whether it’s a drawer, shelf, the junk cupboard or the toy box. This really helps declutter your mind so you can stay calm and focused.
- Get off the bus a couple of stops early and walk the rest of the way. Listen to your favourite tunes at the same time to give your mood a boost.
- Start listening to your favourite podcast in the shower. Think how much you’ll have learned at the end of the month.
- If you’ve been meaning to learn a new skill or improve a hobby, find a daily 10 mins to start practicing. I’ve been meaning to re-learn the piano for 12 mths and I’ve still only sat down at it twice!
- Start making a daily smoothie packed with fresh fruit and veggies – add a teaspoon of matcha tea to really supercharge it.
- Spend 10 minutes to ask your kids, other half etc questions about how they’re doing and actually listen.
- Start a daily journal – just jot down a couple of sentences about your day before you go to bed. Trust me, it really helps to slow time down a little and you’ll have a lovely record to keep forever.
- Spend 10 minutes really looking at your finances and take an action each day to improve them eg change your utility suppliers, open a new current account that offers a cash incentive, look for lost gift vouchers and make sure you use them, try selling things you no longer need on Ebay or Gumtree.
- Spend 10 mins exercising. Whether it’s push ups, hula-hooping, skipping, yoga or doing a fitness video. By doing a little every day you’ll really have built up some fitness by the end of the month and your mind and body will thank you for it.
- Meditate for 10 mins. If you’ve no idea where to start just search YouTube or try an app like Headspace or Calm. By doing it regularly you’ll really start to see the rewards and should feel calmer and more focused.
- Stay hydrated by drinking a big glass of water or cold brew herbal tea with every meal. The benefits of hydration are countless, including better immune health, improved memory function and more balanced moods.
Are you up for this challenge? Let me know on Twitter @eteaket (#dailyritual) and do encourage your friends to join in. Make sure you set a reminder to update us all every week with how you’re getting on, what obstacles you’re facing and what you have learned.
Let’s get started. Remember, a small change done regularly can lead to long-term change and if successful, you can increase your goal next month for even greater results.
Good luck, Erica xx