Celebrate Burn’s Night with our Barrel Aged Whisky Tea
Our Whisky Tea has become a firm favourite since we first debuted this awesome blend back in 2017. If you have not tried it yet what better time than the celebration of our National Bard!
So, pop the kettle on and raise a glass to Robert Burns with our Tomatin Whisky Barrel Aged Black Tea.
We created this blend with Assam, Ceylon and Fujian tea leaves and added a little natural bergamot flavour and a sprinkle of Scottish cornflowers. Then the magic bit. We have worked with the Tomatin Distillery in the heart of the Scottish Highlands to suspend our blend in their whisky barrels.
By letting the tea leaves age in this way, they naturally pick up the complex smoky, fruity flavours of the whisky barrel without overwhelming the character of the tea leaves themselves.
Tomatin Whisky Sour Mocktail
A lush, smoky and complex tea on its own, it can also be the star ingredient to make amazing drinks. We’ve created this Mocktail which also features our Positivitea tea.
Touches All Your Senses.
The umami of the cold brewed Whisky Tea (by brewing in cold water you release more complexity and smoothness in the flavour), is balanced by a touch of sour lemon that does not overpower. Infuse the Positivitea into gomme; its hint of blackberries is just sweet enough to take the edge off the lemon and the touch of Bitters add a layer of complexity, which helps to bind and give depth to the whisky notes. Finally, the egg white (although not traditionally used in a sour) helps to soften and blend the hint of lemon and mint. It also adds a wonderful, silky smooth texture which leaves your tongue wanting more.
Tomatin Whisky Tea leaves have naturally absorbed the complex smoky, fruity flavours of the whisky barrel and enhances the character of the tea leaves. The resulting tea has a subtle natural smokiness and the fruity aroma of the ex-Sherry casks used to make Tomatin 12-Year-Old come through.
Positivitea is used for the tea gomme because it is a fusion of four different tea types with some blackberries and pink pepper notes. The fruitiness and natural sweetness helps to balance the smokiness of the whisky taste. We worked on this tea with Social Bite, a social enterprise on a mission to end homelessness in Scotland and 20% of every retail sale goes to their charity.
- 1 tsp Tomatin Whisky Tea
- 1 tsp Positivitea soda water
- sugar to make gomme
- fresh mint (finger full)
- 1/2 lemon
- Angostura Bitters (3 drops)
- 1 egg white
- 1 blackberry & lemon wedge (optional)
- Add 1 tsp Tomatin Whisky Tea to 100ml fresh cold water and leave for at least 3 hrs to cold brew (overnight if possible), then remove leaves.
- Add 1 tsp Positivitea to 20ml 80°C water, infuse for 4mins, remove leaves then stir in at least 3 tsps of sugar to make a tea gomme.
- Put a finger full of fresh mint into a cocktail shaker with a squeeze of lemon juice & muddle.
- Add 70ml cold brewed Tomatin Whisky Tea, 20ml Positivitea gomme, 3 drops of Bitters, some ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass and add 10ml soda water.
- Top with 1/2 a whisked egg white.
- Garnish with a blackberry & lemon wedge on a cocktail stick.
Find the cosiest spot in the house to sip and enjoy!