How to Make Matcha – The Ultimate Recipe Guide to Matcha Brewing
Here at eteaket we cannot get enough of the delicious super-food that is matcha! Follow our brewing guides and create your own matcha lattes, iced matcha and incorporate it into healthy breakfast and treats. The possibilities are endless, tag us in your own creations and let us see your recipes @eteaket 🙂
All about Matcha
eteaket Matcha is a ceremonial grade Japanese green tea ground to a fine green powder. Upon whisking it evokes fresh grassy meadows with an astringent edge and a satisfying jammy sweetness to finish. This tea is also considered to be crammed full of antioxidants and nutrients. Renowned for it’s reported health benefits as you consume the whole leaf, not just the liquor like other green teas. We source ours directly from a delightful farmer and his wife in Ujitawara, Kyoto, Japan.
Before we getting to making Matcha tea its important to have the right tools. There are a few implements which will help you along the way… Firstly, a Matcha Whisk is crucial to getting the perfect smooth frothy tea. Then there’s a Matcha spoon to measure just the right amount and a dedicated Matcha bowl can be very useful also. If you’re a matcha novice our Matcha Starter Kit has everything you need to kick off your matcha journey. You can also shop our brewing tools from our Edinburgh Tea Room.
How to brew Matcha
1. Add 1/2 tsp matcha powder to a bowl or large shallow mug.
2. Add a few drops of cold water & mix with the matcha to form a paste until smooth with no lumps.
3. Add around 60ml of just below boiling water (80°C ideally)
4. Following a W pattern whisk using a bamboo whisk or small electric matcha whisk.
5. Continue to whisk until you have a lovely froth with bubbles.
1. Make a strong matcha as before & fill 1/3 of a cup.
2. Add a little honey & top with steamed milk of your choice.
1. Make a strong matcha as before & sweeten with honey or agave syrup as desired.
2. Fill your serving glass with ice and top 2/3rd with plant milk (we’re big fans of coconut) apple juice or any liquid of choice – get creative!
3. Pour over brewed matcha, stir & serve.
Vanilla & Chia Seed Matcha Pudding
Vanilla & Chia Seed Matcha Pudding Recipe
- eteaket Ceremonial Matcha prepared with 60 ml of water
- 150ml plant based milk
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Seeds of 1/2 vanilla pod
- 2 tsp of honey
- 4-6 fresh strawberries
- Prepare Matcha until light and frothy.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a serving glass or bowl stir until combined and refrigerate over night.
- Top with freshly cut strawberries and enjoy!
Matcha Fridge Cake Recipe
- eteaket Ceremonial Matcha Cut the mango into smaller pieces
- 2 large bars of your favourite white chocolate
- ½ pack of Shortbread or your favourite biscuit
- Dried Mango
- 75g Walnuts
- Greaseproof paper
- Cut the mango into smaller pieces.
- In a mixing bowl break up the walnuts and biscuits into smaller chunks using a wooden spoon & add in the chopped mango.
- Heat your chocolate over boiling water, once smooth and velvety add in a heaped tablespoon of matcha and stir until combined and into a vibrant green.
- In a lined baking tray pour a thin layer of the matcha chocolate.
- Empty in your biscuit mixture evenly on top and cover with the remaining chocolate. Making sure it settled into all the ingredients, be careful not to overmix you want to keep the texture.
- Allow to set in the fridge. Once the chocolate has hardened cut into squares and serve!