We’re pretty proud of our Tomatin Barrel Aged Whisky Black Tea. We’ve previously done some work on tea and whisky pairings and like to push the boundaries of what you can do with tea while remaining true to this wonderful beverage. Step forward Tomatin Whisky Tea. No we’ve not gone mad. In fact whisky and tea are often drunk together in parts of Asia. The tea leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant are definitely one of the great wonders of the world. They are also a blank canvas as they have an amazing ability to absorb flavours and aromas over time.
Step forward the whisky barrel. And not just any barrel. One from the famous Tomatin Distillery in the heart of the Highlands of Scotland where they’ve been distilling whisky since 1897 using the naturally soft water of the Alt-na-Frith burn.
We’ve blended three black teas from Assam, Ceylon and Fujian and added a little natural bergamot flavour and a sprinkle of cornflowers. This is a superb blend in its own right but by barrel ageing it in Tomatin’s Whisky barrels it is elevated to fabulous. The blend picks up the complex smoky, fruity flavours without overwhelming the character of the tea leaves themselves.
We’ve been trying to create a whisky tea for years but we couldn’t get it quite right. It all came together when we introduced the tea leaves to the whisky barrel. We’re grateful to the Tomatin Distillery for being so up for experimenting with us.
It’s non alcoholic so you can drink to your heart’s content. If you’re in need of something stronger it makes a wicked tea cocktail. Check out the recipe tab below for some ideas.
This unusual tea appeals to non-whisky drinkers as well as whisky lovers. As most people are already familiar with the flavour of black tea, it’s a great introduction to the world of prized Scottish whisky. So pop the kettle on and raise a glass to Tomatin Whisky Barrel Aged Black Tea.
Cold Brew Tomatin Whisky Tea
• Brew around 6g (2 tsp) of Tomatin Whisky Tea in 500ml cold water for 3-12 hours depending on taste preference.
• Add a little honey to sweeten to taste
• Serve in a class with ice and a slice of orange.
eteaket Tomatin Iced Whisky Tea
• 50ml/2oz Tomatin 12yr Old
• 50ml/2oz Chilled eteaket Tomatin Whisky Tea
• 50ml/2oz Clear apple juice
• Dash peach bitters
• Pour Tomatin 12yr old over ice in a Highball glass.
• Place 2 orange wheels into the glass and then build with chilled Tomatin Whisky Tea, clear apple juice and a dash of peach bitters.
• Stir and garnish with a sprig of mint and fresh peach wedge.